Rocky Mountain Showdown
September 2, 2012
Sports Authority Field at Mile High
Two Great Universities, One Great Rivalry
No other annual sports event in Colorado attracts greater anticipation, attention and emotional investment than the annual CU/CSU football game. As the first game of the season for both schools, the hopes and dreams of everyone, from the coaches to the players to the fans, hang in the balance. Anything is possible!
Since 1883, Colorado’s two oldest and largest universities have met on the football field more than 80 times to determine who will win the Centennial Cup and state bragging rights for the next 364 days. As the official kickoff of the college football season in Colorado, the CU vs. CSU game pits these two premier institutions what has become the Rocky Mountain Showdown.
The rivalry returns to the neutral territory of the Denver Bronco’s state-of-the-art Sports Authority Field at Mile High for a ten-year run. Labor Day weekend, more than 65,000 fans will make the pilgrimage from Boulder, Ft. Collins and throughout the state to cheer on their alma mater. While other neutral site games are becoming en vogue nationally, the Denver location remains the only one where fans from both schools have less than an hour’s drive to get to Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Further, the Denver metro area is home to a vast network of alumni from both schools.
The game will also be broadcast live on both school’s radio networks as well as having a national television component. A quick rundown of the Showdown demonstrates it unique statue in reach and impact.
- Organized by the Metro Denver Sports Commission
- Commitments with CU, CSU and Sports Authority Field at Mile High through 2019
- Planned promotional media partnerships with The Denver Post, 9NEWS, Mile High Sports and Clear Channel Radio
- Wide-ranging onsite recognition and promotional rights including stadium signage, ThunderVision advertising, fan promotions as well as exterior lot and concourse exhibiting
- Extensive hospitality benefits ranging from game tickets to private suites to VIP events to on field credentials
Event’s Demographic Profile
The breakdown of the 65,000 spectators is as follows:
- Approximately one third are college students and two thirds are adults ages 25-64
- 48% are either students or alumni of the schools
- Of adult attendees, 55% report household incomes at $60,000 annually with 27% at $110,000+
- 77% own their home
- 20,000 are students from both universities
- 53% are from the Metro Denver Area
Event Sponsorship Opportunities
Sponsorship will provide a tremendous marketing and communications platform before a projected 65,000 attendees, reflecting two distinct demographic groups including college-aged students as well as general fans between the ages of 25-64. Sponsorship levels available:
- Title Sponsor
- Presenting Sponsor
- Supporting Sponsor
- Contributing Sponsor
For more information on sponsoring the Rocky Mountain Showdown, please contact Bruce Erley.